10.5.8 Finder resets to default, desktop files gone!
AdvertisementThe Finder on my 2008 Mac pro is really acting up at the moment an I have no idea what's going on.
My desktop has been wiped clean. Nothing there, except the drive icons. I don't keep much on the desktop but there should be a few folders and files that I always keep there for convenience. Also, Finder has reset to default settings - lost my custom Places from the sidebar and opens in icon view, which I never use.
I looked at the actual folder in Finder as well and the files are definitely not there.
What I have been doing:
I ran iDefrag on my files disk (INT HD 1TB) a few days ago (first time). I forgot to turn off Time Machine so they have probably been running at the same time.
Today Time Machine decided to backup everything from scratch, which I attribute to iDefrag switching everything around on my Files disk. Also filled the backup disk so I only have two backups at the moment, both from today.
Other than that, I have mostly been using Adobe Bridge, Photoshop and InDesign CS4 for editing quite big files. Also Firefox for normal web browsing.
Hard drives are reported to be ok. Profile is still the same name. The files are not in the Trash. Everything else is where it should be. System disk is 1/3 full. Files HD (which hasn't been affected AFAICS) 1 TB 1/2 full.
Does anyone know what could be happening to my machine?
AdvertisementI had the same problem and finally discovered that somehow my Desktop folder had become a Package. I could not do anything on the desktop but the apps and the dock etc. were working fine. I went to Go/Home Folder/Desktop/Show Package Contents and everything was there. But nothing appeared on the desktop. I could not open a new folder and anything I tried to drag to the desktop resulted in a permissions error. I tried all of the above fixes and more. The solution? Trash the desktop folder from your Home folder, empty the trash, reboot and start all over again. If you're lucky like I was you will have a Time Machine backup and you can restore a previous Desktop easily. Worked for me!
- 1HT2486 how can I export the contact book data to a csv file for editing? 10-11
- 2Downloaded new version of itunes and now it will not open on my Macbook 10-11
- 3What sytem is used for determining where the mac book or cell phone located? WEB? Cellphone towers? 10-11
- 4Import Slide Show 10-11
- 5My iphone4 performed 2 backups, one with all my stuff on it and one without. How do I get my stuff from the previous backup? 11-30
- 6Store waveform into report 11-30
- 7403 forbidden message in linux only 11-30
- 8How do I locate friends with iphones? 11-30
- What are the parameters have to pass to bapi material creation?10/11
- IMovie HD 6.0 LOCKS UP On Launch10/11
- Deployment of Servlets with JDeveloper10/11
- How to synch Project with a moved Event?10/11
- How do i get my camera roll on my iphone onto my ipad (using icloud backup)11/30
- My data wheel will not stop spinning (i think i am being tapped)11/30
- Exact fetch returns more than requested number of rows11/30
- Multicube characteristic reassignment to different dimension.11/30
- Please Help! Problem Sending Dashboard to Powerpoint11/30
- Lightroom 4.3 hanging whilst editing picture11/30