10.5.8 Finder resets to default, desktop files gone!
AdvertisementThe Finder on my 2008 Mac pro is really acting up at the moment an I have no idea what's going on.
My desktop has been wiped clean. Nothing there, except the drive icons. I don't keep much on the desktop but there should be a few folders and files that I always keep there for convenience. Also, Finder has reset to default settings - lost my custom Places from the sidebar and opens in icon view, which I never use.
I looked at the actual folder in Finder as well and the files are definitely not there.
What I have been doing:
I ran iDefrag on my files disk (INT HD 1TB) a few days ago (first time). I forgot to turn off Time Machine so they have probably been running at the same time.
Today Time Machine decided to backup everything from scratch, which I attribute to iDefrag switching everything around on my Files disk. Also filled the backup disk so I only have two backups at the moment, both from today.
Other than that, I have mostly been using Adobe Bridge, Photoshop and InDesign CS4 for editing quite big files. Also Firefox for normal web browsing.
Hard drives are reported to be ok. Profile is still the same name. The files are not in the Trash. Everything else is where it should be. System disk is 1/3 full. Files HD (which hasn't been affected AFAICS) 1 TB 1/2 full.
Does anyone know what could be happening to my machine?
AdvertisementI had the same problem and finally discovered that somehow my Desktop folder had become a Package. I could not do anything on the desktop but the apps and the dock etc. were working fine. I went to Go/Home Folder/Desktop/Show Package Contents and everything was there. But nothing appeared on the desktop. I could not open a new folder and anything I tried to drag to the desktop resulted in a permissions error. I tried all of the above fixes and more. The solution? Trash the desktop folder from your Home folder, empty the trash, reboot and start all over again. If you're lucky like I was you will have a Time Machine backup and you can restore a previous Desktop easily. Worked for me!
- 1HT4623 I update my iphone 3gs to 6.0 and my iphone can't read my simcard anymore and i can't activate my phone. what should i do? 10-11
- 2WorldPay Integration 11-30
- 3BTE- send by fax- how to get response 11-30
- 4SQL Developer 3.0.02 & External table 11-30
- 5After Mountain Lion upgarde Safari won't open. What should I do? 11-30
- 6Forms and Reports 6i Architecture 11-30
- 7Error code: 504 when trying to download latest Map... 11-30
- 8Flash won't load in IE 11-30
- I am very disappointed in CFBuilder 210/11
- Hi. I can't seem to install iTunes 10.5 on my Windows Vista Starter laptop.10/11
- When I try to download iTunes, I get error message indicating that the download is for 32-bit, whereas I need 64-bit. How do I download 64-bit iTunes?10/11
- Use of final keyword on methods arguements ?11/30
- How to identify the stock status of a material11/30
- Resource minimized for ECC 6.0 with EHp5 upgrade11/30
- Set/Change System default settings in spro11/30
- Kernel Panics with Brand New Macbook Pro11/30
- What happened to ABS?11/30
- Updating multiple fields ... need an advice.11/30