Batch Resizing within Aperture?
I shoot 400-600 images a day, thus I'm beginning to run out of hard drive space. I don't want to create a new vault of pictures on an external drive. I'm willing to reduce the overall size of my photos in order to create some space on my drive.
I'm at a loss how to batch resize groups of images in Aperture. It was an easy function in iPhoto.
I don't want to skip a step, lose sharpness, image cropping/adjustments, or mess up my project/folder/album file structure in this process.
What's the best way to do this and can it be done safely en masse? (We're talking about 120,000+ images)
You just perfectly described a Referenced-Masters workflow. It works great for 200k+ images, the Library with its Previews lives on the internal drive and is always accessible. Masters live on external drives. The Library is backed up via Vaults and originals are backed up to redundant locations using the Finder before import into Aperture.
Personally I have images managed on the internal SSD until editing is complete then convert to Referenced-Masters.
IMO referenced Masters make far more sense than building huge managed-Masters Libraries.
• Hard disk speed. Drives slow as they fill so making a drive more full (which managed Masters always does) will slow down drive operation.
• Database size. Larger databases are by definition more prone to "issues" than smaller databases are.
• Vaults. Larger Library means larger Vaults, and Vaults are an incremental repetitive backup process, so again larger Vaults are by definition more prone to "issues" than smaller Vaults are. One-time backup of Referenced Masters (each file small, unlike a huge managed-Masters DB) is neither incremental nor ongoing; which is by definition a more stable process.
Managed-Masters Libraries can work, but they cannot avoid the basic database physics.
- 1Merge multiple Cells in Numbers Spreadsheet 10-11
- 2Using Airport with a desk top hard drive 11-30
- 3Create multiple idoc with multiple receivers based on value mapping table 11-30
- 4Mistake with Acrobat 8 professional & internet explorer 11-30
- 5How do I go from offline printer to on line 11-30
- 6Fill a field in a customizing view automatically 11-30
- 7Where does Photoshop save files? 11-30
- 8I forgot my answers of my security questions 11-30
- How do I migrate multiple sparsebundles from my old time capsule to my new time capsule?10/11
- Wireless ISE - 12508 EAP-TLS handshake failed10/11
- How to change page orientation in Pages?10/11
- Setting a field in the workflow when a form is a document variable?10/11
- HP P3015n that has an error message of 8BC5 1334 PRINTER ERROR in the event log. What does it mean?10/11
- 890gxm-g65 strange bootup problem10/11
- Chmsee will not open chm files.11/30
- Blackberry Z10 Software update 10.2.1 stuck11/30
- What is normal swap space utilization on Solaris 1011/30
- Create a new branch On same OR different Client11/30