HELP!!! Hard Drive Crash!
I really need your help. Two days ago I erased my HD and reinstalled OSX from the scratch. Yesterday I updated everything, OS + all applications. Then I cleaned up everything, repaired permissions, optimized the system etc. Then I put all my data back which I had backed up on my iPod. Everything went all right. Then I switched on music synchronization in iTunes 7 and left for a while. When I got back after about 30min, the screen was black and hard drive spinning and would not stop.
It wouldn't boot up from the HD, so I booted up from System CD, S.M.A.R.T. status was verified but it didn't find OS on my HD. I turned it off, back on, booted up from CD again and this time it did not find the Hard Drive at all! I cannot even reinstall OS because there is no HD!
Any idea before I pay $300 plus flat fee for repair?
Thank you very much for any help.
Powerbook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.8)
AdvertisementSorry to hear that your hard drive died.
You have a few choices. First, speed: You can put a 5400rpm drive in or a 7200rpm drive. 5400rpm is the current standard, and 7200rpm provides for snappier response from faster disk operations.
Size: 5400rpm drives go up to 160gb (Seagate) and 7200rpm drives max out at 100gb. Seagates come with a 5 year warranty versus 3 years for most other drives.
You can get see a good selection of choices at OWC at http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/ . Look down the left side of the page at the IDE drives, not the SATA drives (which work in the new Intel-based computers).
If you're handy and the thought of digging into the innards of your PB doesn't frighten you, you can swap the drive out yourself. You can view what's involved at http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/ (choose your model then HD replacement).
If you don't want to do that yourself, if you buy a drive through Apple they'll install it, however, if you source the drive yourself (maybe with more capacity or faster or both, for example), if you take it to an Apple authorized repair center, they will usually do the install.
- 1Apc asset, information about payments and debts to a vendor 10-11
- 27410 double sided printing 10-11
- 3How do I restrict content provider edit rights to a single region on a page 10-11
- 4Mac Mini sound mid 2007 10-11
- 5How to compare 2 anagrams 11-30
- 6Strange result about regular expressions 11-30
- 7Cannot find united Arab emirates in the region for registering iMessage 11-30
- 8Please help a newbie with simple equal methode 11-30
- View attributes can not be retrieved. View instance not found or undefined10/11
- V.02 vs Rejected Items in sales order10/11
- Drop Initial WAAAY Too Large10/11
- Properties of an answer field allowing form users to create a table11/30
- How to transfer songs from pc to Ipod?11/30
- My IPad charger isn't working, My IPad charger isn't working11/30
- I have an iMac with Microsoft Office and an HD - Time Machine. I'm buying a MacBook Pro and I want to know that if I use the Time Machine to transfer all my stuff the Microsof Office will work or if I need to reinstall it with another licence ?11/30
- Why this warning is rised when creating database in RAC?11/30
- Ifrun60_dump_10036 ERROR: Abnormal termination, Error Code: C0000005 ACCESS11/30
- MacBook Air stuck in grey screen after ML installation11/30