Current position: Home > Default > How to reset firefox profile if it crashes on start (also safe mode)
How to reset firefox profile if it crashes on start (also safe mode)
I need to know how to make Firefox do a profile reset when it crashes on start even in safe mode. It starts fine with a new profile.
I had this before today, and then after the 3rd crash report send, a popup offered me a solution to reset my profile while retaining the most important settings. I tried that option and it worked. But I could no longer sync my password with the new sync because of a master password set. I find this a show stopper, so I did a profile restore (mozbackup), I wish I didn't have.
I now have the same problem again with Firefox crashing, but it no longer offers the popup with a solution by trying safe mode (i did manually doesn't work) or resettting the profile.
I need to know a command line switch the make Firefox reset the profile while retaining the important data or how to force it show the pop-up.
Thanks a lot, I'm really pulling my hair out over this and need my Firefox experience back!
AdvertisementNote that a profile created via a reset still can carry over issues because some data is recovered automatically.
If you use the Profile Manager then you get a completely clean profile and if that works then you can copy files yourself to the new profile or possibly try to identify what is wrong and repair your previous profile.
You only see button to Reset Firefox on the "Help > Troubleshooting Information" page and in the Safe Mode startup window if you use the profile that is marked as Default=1 in the profiles.ini file (Profile Manager).
If you do not have the "Reset" button then either use the Profile Manager to create a new profile or use the Profile Manager to start with the current default profile to get the Reset button in Firefox.
- 1Unable to unsubscribe from my Creative Cloud subscription. 10-11
- 2Error when running a report in Discoverer Desktop 10-11
- 3Machines cannot PXE boot using SCCM 2012 DP 10-11
- 4How do i get all my devices to recognize a changed password? 10-11
- 5Is the iPad for me? 10-11
- 6Pattern swatches are shifting when exported to PDF and viewed in Preview/GoodReader 10-11
- 7Someone got a hold of my account 11-30
- 8Netflix and Using the Net At The Same Time... 11-30
- IPod no longer has TV Shows menu option10/11
- How do I get a pdf file to print?10/11
- Using TIme Machine on a MacBook Pro with an AFP connected External HD10/11
- Unable to view website from within network - OSX Server10/11
- "iTunes has stopped working" when going to iTunes store10/11
- OnRollOver, onRollOut11/30
- Changing Pixel Aspect in a Photoshop Menu used in Encore11/30
- Find variable value out of attribute value11/30
- Battery wont charge even with new battery11/30