Routers that work with iChat AV?
AdvertisementSince Apple's list of approved routers hasn't been updated for years, I would love to hear from anyone who has purchased a router recently that works with iChat for audio/video, including any special setting changes/tips. Could anyone with a success story post here? I'm tired of the error 8 messages which in at least some cases seems to be router related.
I have used the DI-604 for about 5 years now. It is a great and cheap router/firewall. The only problem that I have ever had was an odd one. I have a mac pro. i have an external amp that I use for playing my music through. I had a cable run from the rear audio out to the amp. After the last firmware update (mac pro EFI firmware update 1.1) I could not use ichat anymore. If I bypassed the router and went straight to the modem then all was fine. It turned out that there was a major conflict with my setup using the router and rear audio out port but if i used the front headphone jack everything was fine. Other than that the DI-604 is very good. I open port 5190 on the router and have good results. If you are not sure how to open up ports then check out this site. It shows to open up a whole pile of ports but the 5190 port works fine for me.
I would also recommend this fine site from one of the other posters. Ralph Johns site is excellent
and of course what Apple has to say about their firewall
- 1Lion update 10.7.5 crashed my Mac Pro 10-11
- 2IPod "cannot be updated. The current file is in use."....how to fix?! 10-11
- 3How to configure bpm composer and access the projects present in bpm mds re 10-11
- 4Datagram Socket send different sizes Buffers ... 10-11
- 5Why Can't I attach a file on iOS devices? 10-11
- 6Featured Podcast 11-30
- 7[JS CS3] What does copyingProfiles parameter of packageForPrint method mean? 11-30
- 8Itunes and mobileme 11-30
- Can I retrieve files off my MacBook Air that has crashed (White screen flashing folder)?10/11
- When playing my i-tunes library through my hi-fi via Airport Express, how can I get i-tunes to play a single album and then stop, without continuing on through my entire library. It's a problem that doesn't occur when I'm listening through my i-pod.10/11
- How to update my phone is my 3g plan10/11
- Printer connection failure11/30
- I Tunes not recognizing the I Pod, I Pod is frozen.11/30
- Layer 3 Web Authentication11/30
- Alerts on mapping error from BPM11/30
- Canon 6D RAW in CS 511/30
- Changing the background color of the row of the selected cell in table view11/30
- Infix to Postfix application11/30