Vista Build 6002 "This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine"
AdvertisementSo I bought a computer over a year ago from Best Buy when my last one died. It's a laptop that, while it isn't going to ever run brilliantly, serves its purpose as a 2d art editor/internet surfer.
My copy of Vista suddenly decided it wasn't genuine.
My sticker with the serial key is illegible; it's been over a year, and I left it on the bottom of the computer without paying any attention to wear and tear (until I realized -- hey, my computer has LOST ITS MIND.)
I don't really have a desire to do a factory-restore type wipe, but at the moment, that appears that it might be the only option.
It isn't likely that Best Buy gave me a cracked copy of Vista (I'm just assuming, here) but visiting other sites, I've discovered that other people who purchased from Best Buy ALSO had this problem.
*What* is going on?
AdvertisementTrust me, if it's a virus, it's the cleverest little virus that ever was -- I ran just about every scan that I could throw at it, and I'm pretty careful with where I go/what I do and download. (Usually I'm the one cleaning malware off my friends' computers; I know what to look for in general, as well as what to avoid).
I do have an extended service plan. I took it in to Best Buy today and they told me, oh so helpfully, that the sticker on the bottom was unreadable, and there was nothing that they could do, but that they reccommended essentially wiping it to factory settings, which is what I'm actually trying rather desperately to avoid. (I have wayyy to many programs/preferences that I have no desire to reinstall).
I would never have bought Vista if I'd had a choice; it was literally the only option I could afford at the time that I bought the computer. I would've paid to downgrade, but this computer doesn't run XP -- the drivers are incompatible, or somesuch reason. (I considered using nLite and making a custom XP install, but I wasn't sure I was up to it, and it wasn't worth buying an extra license for it if I wasn't sure it could handle it.) At the time that I bought it, Windows 7 was still unavailable to the general public.
- 1Quantity clubbed for two schedule lines in sales order 10-11
- 2How to get the XML TAG name itself instead of TAG value 10-11
- 3Acrobat won't open PDF made in ID CS5 10-11
- 4Running headers not displaying correctly in PDF 10-11
- 5Urgent - native browser in applet 10-11
- 6How do I get rid of amazon as my home page 11-30
- 7I need help upgrading iTunes... nothing is working right 11-30
- 8Apple no longer supports internet explorer 6 11-30
- COGS (Cost of the Goods Sold) in OPM reg.10/11
- Não consigo usar o remote e a sincronização por wi-fi.10/11
- Invalid descriptor index error10/11
- PHP email form with Validation - not working11/30
- I want to modify customer master record's bank detail with BAPI or FM.11/30
- Final Cut Pro 4.5 HD and Soundtrack Pro 1.0.2 and new Intel iMac11/30
- Custom Error Page on Server Level11/30
- Activating ABAP Web Dynpro's in transaction SICF11/30
- Playbook - Viewing videos in yout ube11/30
- Why are colors in Illustrator 6 so much darker than in Illustrator 4?11/30