Current position: Home > Default > Windows 8.1 (running in VMware Fusion 6) keeps resetting my default program associations after rebooting
Windows 8.1 (running in VMware Fusion 6) keeps resetting my default program associations after rebooting
AdvertisementI tried to set Google Chrome as my default browser in Windows 8.1 (virtual machine running in VMware Fusion 6) but somehow mysteriously failed over and over again.
According to Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Default Programs\Set Program Associations, there are 19 possible associations for Google Chrome:
Extensions: .htm, .html, .shtml, .webp, .xht, .xhtml;
Protocols: FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, IRC, MAILTO, MMS, NEWS, NNTP, SMS, SMS, SMSTO, TEL, URN, WEBCAL
I have no problem selecting some of them, or "set this program as default" so that "this program has all its defaults." (I am the only admin user, but not the builtin admin account.)
However, after restarting the VM, the program associations for Google Chrome will reset on its own. Specifically,
"this program has all its defaults" becomes "this program has 14 out of 19 defaults", losing the following five crucial protocols:
FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, MAILTO, NEWS
And these protocols simply hang there unassociated—they don't belong to IE either.
So I am extremely confused; how could the system reset my default program associations? What's wrong?
In case it is relevant, I will also post my VMware Fusion VM Default Applications settings here. All of the options are unchecked: "Open your Mac files and links using Windows applications"; "Open your Windows files and links using Mac applications";
"Run Windows applications from your Mac's Applications folder."
Thank you for your time.
I have the same issue, and I've posted on the vmware forums with no responses other than another person having the same issue.
Have you been able to fix this? I tried importing the same VM into Parallels and the problem goes away. If I do a manual uninstall of Fusion (and remove VMWare tools from the VM), and then reinstall both, the problem goes away - temporarily. I had a few
good months, and it started again. Followed the procedure mentioned, and it went away again, but only survived a few reboots.
FYI, it's definitely not an issue with Chrome, as I'm having the same issue with Firefox (although I can duplicate on chrome as well).
Have you figured anything out?
- 1How to create 2 icloud accounts with one apple id 10-11
- 2IMac G5 - Deep sleep - Will not wake up + Fans rev-up. 10-11
- 3Problem with Meas Point and Documents 10-11
- 4Cannot browse Windows networks in Leopard 11-30
- 5Field Selection for MIRO Vs FB60 11-30
- 6Return order (RE) changed to non-billing relevance 11-30
- 7My iPhone 4S screen is going crazy 11-30
- 8Previously activated users now getting "Product not activated" 11-30
- ITunes List View of Movies on my iPod10/11
- BSOD in XP with from-the-CD driv10/11
- Error in deploying .ear file in weblogic 6.110/11
- Need help with URLs (Mamp/Dreamweaver/Apple Lion)10/11
- How to locate my stolen Ipad Air10/11
- Dwg, 2d - dxf, files opening thru web dms11/30
- Y R Logic sounds in iTunes ?11/30
- Multiple Libraries in iTunes question11/30
- Spread the Love! Be our System Center TechNet Guru, this Valentine's11/30
- I NEED HELP GUYS! so i just updated my i pod 4g into os 5 and i dont have digital zoom. I didnt jailbreak it or anything to get the os soo whats the problem!11/30