Current position: Home > Default > Windows 8.1 (running in VMware Fusion 6) keeps resetting my default program associations after rebooting
Windows 8.1 (running in VMware Fusion 6) keeps resetting my default program associations after rebooting
AdvertisementI tried to set Google Chrome as my default browser in Windows 8.1 (virtual machine running in VMware Fusion 6) but somehow mysteriously failed over and over again.
According to Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Default Programs\Set Program Associations, there are 19 possible associations for Google Chrome:
Extensions: .htm, .html, .shtml, .webp, .xht, .xhtml;
Protocols: FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, IRC, MAILTO, MMS, NEWS, NNTP, SMS, SMS, SMSTO, TEL, URN, WEBCAL
I have no problem selecting some of them, or "set this program as default" so that "this program has all its defaults." (I am the only admin user, but not the builtin admin account.)
However, after restarting the VM, the program associations for Google Chrome will reset on its own. Specifically,
"this program has all its defaults" becomes "this program has 14 out of 19 defaults", losing the following five crucial protocols:
FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, MAILTO, NEWS
And these protocols simply hang there unassociated—they don't belong to IE either.
So I am extremely confused; how could the system reset my default program associations? What's wrong?
In case it is relevant, I will also post my VMware Fusion VM Default Applications settings here. All of the options are unchecked: "Open your Mac files and links using Windows applications"; "Open your Windows files and links using Mac applications";
"Run Windows applications from your Mac's Applications folder."
Thank you for your time.
I have the same issue, and I've posted on the vmware forums with no responses other than another person having the same issue.
Have you been able to fix this? I tried importing the same VM into Parallels and the problem goes away. If I do a manual uninstall of Fusion (and remove VMWare tools from the VM), and then reinstall both, the problem goes away - temporarily. I had a few
good months, and it started again. Followed the procedure mentioned, and it went away again, but only survived a few reboots.
FYI, it's definitely not an issue with Chrome, as I'm having the same issue with Firefox (although I can duplicate on chrome as well).
Have you figured anything out?
- 1Can no longer sync photos via itunes 10-11
- 2Mixed resukts with AIM 11-30
- 3Any Headphones I plug into my Macbook it only Plays sound out of the Left Earphone?? 11-30
- 4How to remove all instance in a repeatable subform (bis) 11-30
- 5Radius selection order in WLC 11-30
- 60o we require a seperate server for each JWS app 11-30
- 7Timeout error when converting PDF to Word 11-30
- 8Oracle 9i SLES10 x86_64 11-30
- How do you open a closed eye in lightroom 5?10/11
- Why is Messages no longer showing up under my iCloud account in the "Internet Accounts" window?10/11
- Syncing contacts/calendars on multiple iPod Touch using 1 Apple ID10/11
- PAL or NTSC on iMovie10 ?11/30
- How to publish a video on an iWeb Blog?11/30
- Mac Mini Mid 2010 Fan issue11/30
- Where can I buy the original earphone that go with my Ipod ???11/30
- AWT Event Listener not listening...11/30
- About nternal tables11/30
- I have a problem wite N82 software updater.plz hel...11/30