Current position: Home > Default > Windows 8.1 (running in VMware Fusion 6) keeps resetting my default program associations after rebooting
Windows 8.1 (running in VMware Fusion 6) keeps resetting my default program associations after rebooting
AdvertisementI tried to set Google Chrome as my default browser in Windows 8.1 (virtual machine running in VMware Fusion 6) but somehow mysteriously failed over and over again.
According to Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Default Programs\Set Program Associations, there are 19 possible associations for Google Chrome:
Extensions: .htm, .html, .shtml, .webp, .xht, .xhtml;
Protocols: FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, IRC, MAILTO, MMS, NEWS, NNTP, SMS, SMS, SMSTO, TEL, URN, WEBCAL
I have no problem selecting some of them, or "set this program as default" so that "this program has all its defaults." (I am the only admin user, but not the builtin admin account.)
However, after restarting the VM, the program associations for Google Chrome will reset on its own. Specifically,
"this program has all its defaults" becomes "this program has 14 out of 19 defaults", losing the following five crucial protocols:
FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, MAILTO, NEWS
And these protocols simply hang there unassociated—they don't belong to IE either.
So I am extremely confused; how could the system reset my default program associations? What's wrong?
In case it is relevant, I will also post my VMware Fusion VM Default Applications settings here. All of the options are unchecked: "Open your Mac files and links using Windows applications"; "Open your Windows files and links using Mac applications";
"Run Windows applications from your Mac's Applications folder."
Thank you for your time.
I have the same issue, and I've posted on the vmware forums with no responses other than another person having the same issue.
Have you been able to fix this? I tried importing the same VM into Parallels and the problem goes away. If I do a manual uninstall of Fusion (and remove VMWare tools from the VM), and then reinstall both, the problem goes away - temporarily. I had a few
good months, and it started again. Followed the procedure mentioned, and it went away again, but only survived a few reboots.
FYI, it's definitely not an issue with Chrome, as I'm having the same issue with Firefox (although I can duplicate on chrome as well).
Have you figured anything out?
- 1How do you assign multiple values to a single element in an array? 10-11
- 2How to send a mail using SMTPAppender in Log4j..? 10-11
- 3Migrate existing data base to oracle 10g and cluster it 10-11
- 4Synced phone to itunes on my computer now I can't find my pics and I sold my phone 11-30
- 5Captivate 5.5 for mac crashing when recording a project - with OS X 10.10.1 11-30
- 6Dbxml_java - linker error 11-30
- 7How can I get my sound notifications to work? They used to but have stopped. I get the banner alerts. I have checked in Settings - Sound and the volume is at max. Help please. 11-30
- 8Mxml Servlet initialisation problem 11-30
- How can I select a radio button in a table regarding the data in the cells?10/11
- Fusion drive and logic?!10/11
- Web Variables are being displayed and they shouldn't be10/11
- Orientation issues when using Save As in Adobe Reader X10/11
- Need to get rid of phony site "Mandiant U.S.A. Cyber Security"10/11
- Different languages in Standard Analysis10/11
- Calling another cache from within AbstractProcessor.process fails, why?11/30
- How to clear exception cache in VO when using OAAttrValException11/30
- Query syntax problem.11/30
- I cannot reduce the images size on my ipad2 has anyone had this problem before ?11/30